Kit Houses

Addition 1

Burlington Daily Free Press, February 28, 1893

South of the Five Sisters neighborhood lies “The Addition”—quite literally, an addition to the city of Burlington’s residential options at the turn of the twentieth century. Formerly a 100-acre farm operated by the Foster family, it was acquired by Charles W. Scarff, a real estate businessman, and A.O. and C.F. Ferguson, who were ice and milk dealers, in the late 1880s. Two of the eighteen city blocks of the land fronted the railroad tracks. The partnership encouraged manufacturing businesses to build along this section, with the perk of employee housing a short walk away. Ferguson & Scarff sold lots to individual homeowners, developers, and prospective landlords.